Thursday 27 December 2012

....and how could I explain the pleasure in the pain....

Last ride of the year probably, and what a year for me when it comes to cycling. After starting the year with a poorly shoulder and dented mojo I've steadily rebuilt my confidence and slowly built up my fitness. After getting somewhat carried away with worrying about my stats and other people passing me I finally got a grip and started enjoying my cycling even more. On the road bike I did the Exmoor Beauty which turned out to be a bit beastly but at least I found out I can turn a steady pace into a headwind. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the rider who complimented me on that after sitting behind me for about three miles! I did a couple of charity rides and a sportive out on the Somerset Levels where flat is harder than you think, you have to keep pedalling ! My last big ride of the year was the Exmoor Beast which although was hard work I enjoyed thoroughly even with the wind and rain. I've really started enjoying my mountain biking even more which I think is down to my improving fitness, anyone for the Exmoor Explorer next year ?  Most of all I've come into contact with some great people through the blog and by joining the local cycling club and even had the pleasure to ride out with a couple of them.

I took the mountain bike for a spin today, it turned a bit gloomy as I set off but as I slogged my way up the hill the sun came out. A well worn route today, very wet and muddy but the sun shining through the trees made for a lovely ride.




Look! a castle....
Here's the Strava bit for today's ride....

My stats for the year, give or take a few miles...

1839 miles.....
179,629ft of elevation gain.....
The chance to ride with friends....not enough

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great blog Gaz, you've had a brilliant year mate.