Wednesday 17 October 2012

...alone inside my tiny little world.......

I had sort of planned to go out for a road ride with a friend today but with the weather looking dodgy and said friend being a very busy bee we decided to give it a miss. I decided to repair the punctures on the mountain bike, five punctures, three front, two on the back and is my chain meant to be orange ? Bike back to full health I decided to head for the hills and do the route I was going to do last week but this time remain fully inflated, hopefully. It was sunny and the skies were blue but it was very windy but as I was heading off road I didn't really mind, no traffic to get blown into just gorse! With all the leaves on the ground it was like riding through mulch on the way up under the tree line but with the grippy rear tyre now fitted I ploughed up. Still wet on top of the hill but the water wasn't running down the trails like a river unlike last week.

At least you can see the hills today...
I was so glad I didn't go out on the road bike because the wind would of been far too dangerous. I was getting blown sideways on a heavy mountain bike and when I stopped to take some pics from atop of the beacon I struggled to stay on it.

View from a beacon...
I decided to head a new way down to Selworthy, a great descent with mud, rocks and the falling leaves riding alongside the river taking the water off the hill. Past Lady Aclands hut, I must stop one day and make a visit but I was too busy concentrating on where I was going. I can see why she put it here though it's a lovely spot.

Descent to Selworthy...
A quick spin along the back road to the crossroads which possibly could have been wetter than the hills with a couple of axle deep muddy puddles to splash through. No turning right down the track to the farm today because that would be a very silly thing to do, the puncture fairy can pick on someone else today.

Puncture alley..
Across the road and up the hill, a few years back it would of took me a good hour or more with several stops but not now, straight up, no stopping, no collecting two hundred quid, thoroughly enjoying myself going up a hill. It was literally all downhill until home once on top of the hill, no punctures, no wheezy lungs and feeling good. I might of been alone and it would of been nice to have company but I really did enjoy getting muddy :)


No comments: