Wednesday 8 August 2012

........one day is fine, next is black...........

I thought I'd get up early and hit the road before it got too warm and sunny, yeah right, I awoke to drizzle. I took the dog out instead to check the conditions and it was quite still and warm but the hills were shrouded in mist. Should I stay or should I go ? I decided to go, the drizzle had eased off and I've got to get some miles in before my next event, that and if I don't ride I might go insane !

The well worn route around the back of Dunster and up to Wheddon Cross and I was feeling really good. I was riding at a good pace for me and looking at my Strava stats it was my quickest ever time. In a year I can now ride to the top of the hill without stopping and I've knocked about ten minutes off the time. Lets hope there's no olympic coaches reading they might want a drugs test, I'd fail ! A quick breather at the bus stop and then up the hill to the Brendons.

Dunkery....somewhere
Along the top and I decided to try a new way home today. It was dry on the top and as I turned off the main road to make my way down to Luxborough I was greeted by a road full of pheasants. Strange birds who insist on running everywhere but I suppose it's a bit risky taking off  for them :) Its a lovely little place but its at the bottom of a valley which means up or along the valley to Roadwater. I chose to go up along a road known as Stouts Way and very nice it was too. A nice steady climb up through the forest the smell of the evergreens in the air.

Hidden sign.....
Leafy climb.....


As I cleared the tree line I could see the clouds looming in the distance and after another short steep bit I was in the clouds and the road was covered in mud. Vision must of gone down to about twenty foot for a bit which made things interesting as I was now heading downhill.

Cloud rolling in......
Downhill from here....honest !
The road down to Withycombe was covered in mud, the summer rain must of washed the best part of the surrounding fields down the hill. The drizzle was back this side of the hill and I made damp progress back towards home.

A proper castle in the mist.......
A relatively quick ride, not too far and just over the two hour rule. I think I got covered in more mud today than I did on Sunday.


What to wash first ?.......
Here's my Strava bit, really pleased with my pace up to Wheddon Cross. http://app.strava.com/rides/17266345


No comments: