Friday 2 December 2011

If the bike fits....

Lance and I haven't been getting on. It's partly my fault, it was a bit of an impulse buy, I shouldn't be allowed in large bicycle shops there's too much to tempt and I end up a drooling wreck. If and when I buy another bike I won't wear jeans and trainers and I'll ask for a fit. I tinker too much, adjusting the seat height, the seat position until I get to a point where I don't know where I started and I'm uncomfortable on the bike. On Monday's ride my back was aching so I lowered the seat, that helped but that lead to my knees aching after the ride, Lance and I needed counselling.

So after contacting Bicycle Chain in Taunton where I bought the bike and explaining my problems they kindly offered a free basic fit for Lance and I. Alex the Trek trained bike fitter chatted about my riding, I think he was a bit surprised at the distances I was doing and my time on the bike, must have been my athletic frame impressing him. After demonstrating  my complete lack of flexibility Lance was set up on a turbo and Alex watched me spin. He then proceeded to check leg angles with a big angle checker thing, cleat position and hung plumb lines from the knees. I don't know if I've got one leg longer than the other or one is less tight than the other. I put this down to driving fork trucks for twelve hours a day and twisting to one side, perhaps I need a truck fit ?

After an hour or so we had it sorted. Lance was fitted with a shorter stem to reduce my reach and the saddle height was raised far higher than what I would have done and moved back a bit to what it was, I might need some stabilisers ? Alex also advised on some exercises to help my lower back. I was itching to get on the bike, so as soon as I got back I went for quick spin on my Wootton Courtenay lap. The bike definitely felt easier to spin if you know what I mean ? It might take some getting used to in the next couple of weeks, I'm probably using some different muscles now and stretching the hamstrings a bit more. My time ? 13 seconds quicker, it all counts ;)

No comments: