Wednesday 8 May 2013

.....there is a green hill far away going back there one fine day......

As I made my way along the A39 this morning my progress was slowed by two horse boxes being towed somewhere, where I don't know, they turned off at Cannington and I made my merry way to Axbridge to visit my friend, the A.A Gill of sportive reviews, Jennifer aka The Cycling Mayor. On my way back I was stuck behind the same two horse boxes again, where had they been? The vets, had they been for a ride out with mates, do horses go shopping, I pondered all these things as I slowly made my way along the A39.

In between following horses I went for ride around the Somerset levels with Jennifer. Tradition has it that it rains whenever we meet but today thankfully the rain held off. I was a promised a flat route which is a bit of a novelty for me, it's a tad hilly were I live. I knew the first bit out of Cheddar and towards Wedmore having ridden that way on the Cheddar Sportive on a couple of occasions(great event well worth doing). After giving a nice man a tow to Wedmore we headed off towards Glastonbury. Jennifer assured me she knew where she was going, the timber yard in Glastonbury was very nice but I'm sure that was off route ;)

....Tor....
It was nice spinning along quiet straight flat roads, chatting, drafting tractors, admiring the countryside, passing fields of Swans, the sun even shone on the odd occasion. I think I kept up but Jennifer might of eased off a bit, she's not as slow as she keeps telling people. Riding on the flat is such a change for me, we even did the drafting thing but drafting behind Jennifer is a bit like drafting behind a cocktail stick, I hope my bulk had a better effect ;)

Camera shy !
A thoroughly enjoyable ride out with good company, here's the Strava bit.......

No comments: