Monday 2 January 2012

It's getting better....

I haven't blogged for a while because I haven't ridden since my mishap back in December. The whack on my shoulder was a bit more serious than the nice people at A&E had advised. I knew things weren't ok, you know that feeling when somethings not right and my shoulder really hurt and it felt like something was poking through my shoulder. Kindly the company I work for sent me to see a physio, a nice man called Neil to get me fit for work. He didn't seem too impressed with the lack of treatment, comparing it to sending someone home with a fracture and not putting a cast on it. Apparently I had slightly separated my Acromioclavicular joint, a common injury among cyclists, and rugby players he advised me. Neil treated the joint with something resembling an ultrasound machine (it probably was.)
He then proceeded to strap me up with the fancy tape you see all the athletes on the telly sporting. He then prescribed two weeks of light duties at work and booked me in for a couple of more appointments to reapply the tape and treat the joint with his machine.

I'm itching to get back on the bike but I don't want to rush into things. I landed on my left hand side and as I'm a left handed genius and my livelihood involves driving a vehicle that biased towards the left I want to be 100 per cent. I've had dark thoughts about getting back on the bike, I think the fear of falling off again plays on your mind and you begin to doubt yourself but you can't think like that or you'd lock yourself in and never leave home.

So, the new year is here and I intend to ride more and a bit more for good measure. I plan to take part in the Exmoor Beauty, I know its on local roads but you can't beat taking part in events with like minded individuals and to set yourself a target. Then in June its the British Heart Foundation Somerset Levels ride, I've done the 27 mile route a couple of years ago but this time I'm going for the 50 and theres the chance I might spot a Rapha clad cycling mayor whizzing around her manor. In August its the Exmoor Explorer off road ride. No1 and I have done this together for the last couple of years, its a great event run by great people. Onto September and its the Cheddar Cyclosportive, another nice event, I lost my sportive cherry to last year. That's the plan anyway, I might even do some more you never know but what I do know is that I will be out on my bike, starting tomorrow, hopefully ;)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hope you're properly healed and back out there soon. Apparently rest is good for you! *grin*. Bound to see you on the road soon :)