Monday 6 January 2014

.........by the deep sea, and music in its roar.........


Amazing you live so close to things but life, work and all that stuff involved with it sometimes blinds you to what is around you. Exmoor never stops surprising me, hidden history, to me anyway, continually unveils itself and it's a pleasure discovering it. Left the bikes at home today and drove down to Porlock Weir to go for a walk along the South West Coast Path to Culbone Church reportedly the smallest church in England. The tide was really high and pebbles littered the car park when I arrived but it wasn't raining so thought I should just head off. A nice two mile or so walk from the Weir through the woods, didn't see another soul, a refreshing change from the bike.


On the way to the church you walk through the remnants of Ada Lovelace's Gothic mansion in the hillside with tunnels apparently built by nineteenth century Swiss mountaineers. Need to go back and explore this place some more and take more pics.










Went for a wander around the Weir when I returned, the tide was subsiding and my car was thankfully where I left it, just started raining as I left, good timing.





No comments: