Wednesday 26 October 2011

What a Beautiful Day

October, your having a laugh, well today anyway. Well the plan was for me and No1 son to go for a spin into hills of Somerset on this glorious day but sadly he decided to rearrange his brace with a combination of too many chewy sweets and his toothbrush, so it was a trip to the orthodontist with his mum for him which left little old me hitting the hills.

I set off about 11, stayed up too late watching nonsense on the TV and its half term so why not enjoy a lay in. I did the the usual long cut around the back of Ellicombe and down the old Minehead road to avoid the traffic and headed for Dunster. I took my usual route around Dunster avoiding the tourists and the traffic lights and hit the road to Wheddon Cross.

Its a nice long steady climb up to Wheddon Cross, nice and sheltered in the trees, its the first time I've ventured out on the Trek on this route, the Trek has got a triple compared to the compact on my old bike, but it didn't feel any different as I huffed and puffed up the hill. To be honest I felt crap, its been a couple of weeks since my last road ride that and I think I went out too quick after brekkie. I saw my old workmate Gaz  busy at work in Alcombe, he asked if cycling was my new fitness fad but told him it was my mid life crisis, he said he was going to get a Porsche for his, he could have a point ;)

After a quick breather at Wheddon Cross I headed towards Dunkery Beacon which loomed in the distance. The wind seemed to pick up but being this high up its probably like this all the time. Riding up over Dunkery in this direction is another nice steady climb. After Dunkery gate the hill sheltered me as I headed up the hill, the sun on my back and I think I had a tail wind as I seemed to be going along at quite a nice pace. For some reason there were loads of big hairy caterpillars crossing the road today, there's a gag there somewhere, I'll have to contact Autumnwatch to get the answer. The views were superb today, views in all directions as far as the eye could see, this is why I ride. I could really feel the chill going down to Webbers Post, I took it steady down through the trees as I headed down to Chapel Cross.


Views towards the Quantocks

Looking back down to Wheddon Cross

Thats Wales over there !

A quick blast through Luccombe and then the main road back home, up the Tivington hilly bit and down Bratton straight. The first ten miles where rough but once I warmed up and the views from Dunkery lifted my mood. Its days like today that make me realise how lucky I am.

Distance - 19.03 miles
Time - 1.51
Avg Speed - 10.3
Elevation Gain - 2013ft

Compared to the last time I did this route I did it 15 seconds slower, consistent, slow but consistent.

No comments: