Monday 22 April 2013

......I was low on a hundred things......

I wasn't feeling it this morning but with a couple of biggish rides lined up I knew I had to get out there and get the miles in, no excuses, man up and crack on. I seem to have shook off what was wrong with my lungs and have finally stopped coughing up lumps, nice. Like a fool I believed the forecast and risked three quarters, mitts and no shoe covers but I did wear my winter long sleeved jersey which proved to be a good call. I wanted to go a bit further than the norm and start upping my mileage so I devised a new route in my head and headed off into the er.... light patchy drizzle.

Took it steady to Porlock and headed up the Toll road, again, but why not, nice steady climb and I seemed to be going quite well for me. I was pushing a slightly bigger gear today and the legs felt good as I spun up, it felt a bit odd to be honest. The rally cars went up this way on Saturday and had done a great job of sweeping all the crap off the bends which made the decent surface even more decent. Just like last week the wind and rain was hanging around the top but I spun on and even did a bit of cyclocross to avoid the sticky hill.

Cyclocross anyone ?
I headed off for Exford but I could see the rain in the distance rolling in across the hills from the coast. My progress was slowed by the local hunt assembling at the roadside, I had to pick my way through lots of horses and posh people but they were all very polite and so was I.

Rain rolling in....
I was soaked and cold once I'd got to the bottom of the hill and did think about bailing out and heading for home but decided not to and cracked on. New climb today, Muddicombe Lane, guess what, it was muddy and went up through a combe, who'd have thought it :) On top of the moors now and heading for Dulverton but the wind seemed to be at my back now and legs still felt good.

Top of Winsford Hill...
I was really enjoying myself spinning along the top of the moors and I've never ridden this way before so it was all new. The descent down to Dulverton was great and looks like a decent ascent too, so that's a another route in the pipeline. Really wet in Dulverton so I didn't hang about and headed off onto the valley road and back towards home. A quick break in Bridgetown for a snack at the roadside and back on, still feeling good, I like this feeling. Up to Wheddon Cross, windproof on and the great descent back towards home, I started pushing on, I was loving it :)

Needs a wash....
Cold, wet and knackered but I really enjoyed the ride today, glad I stuck to the plan, perseverance and all that :)

Here's the Strava bit.....

No comments: